1. How long have you been playing Oboe?
I started playing the oboe when I was eleven. I had played the clarinet for four years before that, and had a few years of piano.
2. Who/What gave you the passion to pursue it as a career? Why? How?
I didn’t decide to apply to conservatories until the summer before my senior year of high school, when I was participating in the Boston University Tanglewood Institute. The program gave me the opportunity to interact with professional musicians and I got to see that it was a viable career option for me.
3. Outside of music, what do you love about Philadelphia?
I like that it is a very walkable city.
4. Do you have a favorite Philadelphia restaurant?
There are so many great restaurants in Philly, it would be difficult to pick just one. Some of my favorites are Barbuzzo, Pizzeria Stella, and Dizengoff.
5. Favorite Philadelphia attraction?
The farmer’s market at Headhouse Square and the Philadelphia Zoo.
6. Favorite Philadelphia food?
The apple fritters at Beiler’s Donuts, at Reading Terminal Market.
7. Describe your perfect day off.
Spending a quiet day at home with my wife and cats.